Terms & Conditions
Please read in full the following terms and conditions before you accept an estimate (either verbally or electronically):
- When a client wishes to accept an estimate, you will need to accept it by email via the electronic invoice. Once you have done this, we will email you outlining the work that we have agreed to do. You will need to confirm this to avoid any confusion/disagreements on completion of the job. You will then be emailed an invoice for a 25% deposit. Once payment is made, this constitutes a formal agreement between H & H and you, the client, that all works undertaken will be paid for in full before your furniture can be collected.
- Occasionally, additional work is needed on a piece of furniture once it has been stripped of its old fabric/stuffing/padding that can’t be foreseen. In this case, we will contact you to explain and agree on an additional cost for labour/materials.
- We will endeavour to deliver completed items at the specified time. However, there may be supply problems (obtaining specialist materials / fabrics, etc) or personnel issues that can delay progress. In such cases, we will keep you fully updated. In terms of personnel issues, we are a small company (with two full-time and two part-time upholsterers); therefore, staff sickness and childcare issues can occasionally interfere with our work schedule.
- If old top covers/trims, foam, springs/spring units are removed prior to upholstery, we will dispose of everything apart from spring units and old foam. You will be asked to dispose of these when you collect your finished piece(s).
- Regarding fabric flaws: we always check for flaws and will endeavour to work around them. If this is not possible, we will liaise with you to find the best solution (e.g. obtain a refund or replacement fabric from the supplier if the fabric was purchased through us).
- If you choose to source your own fabric, it is your responsibility to ensure that the fabric is suitable for the purpose for which it is intended (i.e. it should be upholstery-grade fabric with a Martindale rub test of 23,000+). You will be charged an extra 20% on the labour costs if you provide your own fabric. This is because we have experienced difficulties in the past using clients’ own fabric, e.g. the fabric is too stretchy or not stretchy enough, or it’s impossible to hand-sew.
- If you wish to use leather/vinyl, an additional 20% will be added to labour costs. This is because using leather/vinyl is a very specialist skill that can only be done by very experienced, senior upholsterers and takes longer to upholster furniture than other fabrics.
- H & H may use photographic images of your furniture (progress shots and completed shots) on their website and social media accounts (Instagram & Facebook) for promotional purposes. If you do not wish for your furniture images to be used in this way, please inform H & H when you accept an estimate.
- All accepted estimates are subject to a 25% (of labour costs) non-refundable deposit. An additional 50% (of labour costs) and the cost of fabric (if ordered through H & H) is due when we begin the job. The final 25% is due before the completed piece(s) can be collected/delivered. You are welcome to visit the workshop to view your furniture before making the final payment.
- Complaints will be dealt with as quickly as possible. We will endeavour to resolve any issue to our satisfaction and that of you, the client.
- H & H will not be held responsible for charges if you ask another upholstery company to make corrections to the completed piece. We pride ourselves on our quality of workmanship and never let a restored piece leave our workshop if we are not totally happy with it.
- Full payment for the course is due at the time of booking. Payment for fabric (if ordered through Hamilton & Hodson) is due 7 days’ prior to the course date.
- Once a booking has been made, we are unable to offer any refunds or cancellations. In particular reference to our four-week courses, please ensure you can attend all four sessions before you book as any sessions missed cannot be made up on other days. We have to be strict about this policy; we are a small company and cannot absorb any lost income and undertake additional admin due to non-attendance. The exceptions are:
- You need to change the date(s) of your course and it is more than 8 weeks’ in advance of the original course date. We will endeavour to find a replacement student but will need to charge an admin fee of £20.00.
- Hamilton & Hodson having to cancel a workshop. This would only happen if we do not have enough students booked on to a course. You will be notified a week in advance of the course date. In this case, we will offer an alternative date or if requested, a full refund.
If you have any questions about our terms and conditions, please do get in touch.